The morning of January 12th, the roof of our school gym collapsed. We were getting ready for school as usual, when I got a phone call from my friend Katie. She said she heard on the radio that all schools were closed because of the roof collapsing at my kids school. What I pictured in my mind was a small crack or even partial opening in the roof. It wasn't until the aerial photos came through my Facebook feed showing the devastation of the entire roof smashing to the floor that the sinking feeling hit me. I knew no one was hurt, but couldn't shake the "what if's" from flooding my conscious. Just a few hours later that gym would have been filled with kids. Or the next day would have been filled with the whole school and many parents for the assembly on Friday morning (both Dave and I planned to be there).
It was a huge loss, to lose the school gym. All the equipment, stage, musical instruments...even the memories made in there from my own kids to the generations of people who have attended this school since the 1950's. It will be an inconvenience for the next year (or more) to lose the space for gym class, music class, assemblies, after school events etc. But it is all stomach-able to know that all the little lives were spared. We have our kids and I am thankful!

In order for the 67 year old building's roof to collapse, that alone, can be evidence of our epic winter of snow. We have gotten our fill of snow shoveling that's for sure! Especially David between our house and The Lot, this was the year we should have bought a snow blower! We were lucky to borrow one on occasion, but the majority has been done shovel by shovel by my strong husband's back. Our bartenders and the cart owners, did a good job keeping up with the fresh snow fall during the days and David always got there first thing in the morning to clear what fell over night. It's been hours and hours of extra work to keep the sidewalks around the "corner"of The Lot clear! Let's just say it is not an understatement to be glad that Spring has arrived and the shovels are now stored in our garage.
When the shoveling job was done, or at least on pause, we got out and enjoyed the snow too! Lots of xc skiing, sledding and down hill skiing. Here are a smattering of pictures showing all our fun.
![]() |
| Don't worry I helped shovel too! |
The bunnies...did I mention we got bunnies? Let it be known, it wasn't my idea! Back in November, these two were baby bunnies and they lived under the carts and around The Lot. Our kids fell in love and felt determined to "save" them from freezing and starving over the winter. Alas, we became Honey and Coconut's family. They are pretty cute, but I am not a fan of caged animals. They survived the winter with us and got a DELUX cage built for them. Now they live in our back yard...for now! I'm not promising to keep them forever, but man these kids play and snuggle them every day. I may be in a losing battle!
![]() |
| Snow Eating right out of the sky |
Front yard and back yard snow play! Endless hours of fresh snow to eat!
| Our neighbor let us borrow his snow blower. |
There was A LOT of snow this year, did I mention that yet?!
![]() |
We missed several days of school from the snow and the gym collapsing, so we liked to walk to The Lot for lunch and more snow shoveling. We put the kids to work too.

Artistic photo opportunities for Instagram.
It was hard to imagine that the piles of snow would ever melt and give us back our street parking.
Then all the snow started to melt!
This is Mango LOVING LIFE on his 12th birthday, Super Bowl Sunday.
We went to the annual luminaria and enjoyed the night hike with candles on the path.
This day, that we xc skied to the new Swampy shelter felt very momentous to me because it was the first time we made it all the way out to a shelter with out bribes or constant encouragement or complaining breaks. It is a 3 mile round trip out and back. There were long moments of silent skiing where everyone was in a groove and quietly enjoying the peace of swish, swish, swish, swish of the skis in motion. I was so proud of Jett and Piper (CJ stayed home with Gma Alice because he was sick). My heart filled with love to think of sharing my favorite winter activity with them for years to come.
We are still on Carousel, the free beginning lift, but loving it. We may be one of the few families in town that didn't put our kids in ski lessons when they were 4 years old. But I don't mind and I'm quite happy they probably won't ever be on any Olympic Ski teams.
For now, they are having a blast and even if they are all three different speeds we can keep track of them on the bunny hill!
Jett points his skis straight down hill and is always first to get back in line at the lift.
Piper like to go in the trees and hit small bump/jumps.
CJ prefers long, wide turns across the mountain and has his own pace that keeps him in control.
Brothers!
Full Moon Mamas! I have a group a friends that love the Full Moon as much as me. Since September, some form of the group have been getting together for hikes and night skis each month. It is a great group of women, we laugh and talk and laugh some more. I am super grateful for the chance to get outside with these women to howl at the moon, share stories and get exercise at night.
When Jett and I went xc skiing from our house to meet Dave, Piper and CJ for dinner downtown, it was 9 degrees outside! As we scooted down Milwaukee Street by Nancy P's Bakery, I asked him if he thought he would be able to remember what it felt like and looked like at this very spot in July when it is 90 degrees and we are walking in flip flops instead?
Sledding, sledding and more sledding!
We even went sledding for Calvin and Jett's birthday party.
Old Mill walking with Gma Linda in town.
More xc skiing with The Lot crew (missing one very important key person...Katie G...who graciously stayed back to keep the place open for the rest of Bend to eat, drink and be merry)
I am so grateful to have such wonderful people representing our business every day. They are fun, thoughtful, trusting, and really do give a damn about their job. Our crew does an amazing job creating a welcoming, positive vibe for all our community to enjoy. They respect and care about each other and are all really fun people to see every day and hang out with. I have so much love and appreciation for these ladies and it's a bonus that they like to xc ski too!
We had a great day at Wanoga with our dogs. And even managed an impromptu team building activity of finding Kacey's IPhone that dropped at some point on our self made trail that we blazed without a destination in mind. Just as we back tracked to the last place Kacey thought it might have fallen out of her pocket. Sierra called the phone in hopes that we would hear it ring...instead a man answered! He found it an hour earlier and picked it up. Knowing that someone would hope to get it back! He was still at the snow park and met us at the trailhead to reunite the phone with the proper owner. Sierra said, "Come on down to The Lot for a free pint! We all work there, so we will hook you up in appreciation!"
I am so lucky. I know it, I love it and I appreciate it. All the time I have gotten out in the woods on xc skis this year. It really is my favorite sport, maybe even my favorite all time thing to do outside. I love to hike and bike, go to lakes and rivers, but there is something about xc skiing in awesome conditions with wonderful people that just makes my heart sing!
So, this is the year I turn 40! I've been aware of it, noticed it approaching and decided that I wanted to have fun celebrating it! After the summer and once the kids were back in school, I actually had some moments to myself and got motivated to book some fun adventures for the year.
The first on the list was the Three Sisters Wilderness hut to hut xc ski trip, I've wanted to do this trip since I first heard about it a few years ago...so I booked it! There were 8 spots and they were filled lickity split by my moon loving mama friends. I had considered planning it as a couples trip as I know Dave would have loved it too, but with these enthusiastic, committed friends ready to plunge into this weekend adventure with me...Dave graciously supported my woman's weekend, knowing how important time with the ladies is to my soul. What a great group of women. There are many more I would have loved to include, but this group gelled and supported and enjoyed each other so easily it made the trip that much more fun. Even though my birthday isn't until April, I booked it in January, because you never know what the snow pack will by by April. This year, the trail will probably still be awesome in April, but I didn't want to chance it and I have to say we nailed it for weather and snow conditions. After the experience on the Dutchman to Swampy trail where the 4 of us had a hard time following the diamonds to navigate the trail because of all the fresh snow and no one else paving the way. I was nervous about trail finding, if that was the scenario again. Luckily there was a group the day before us and the flagged trail was much more obvious for the hut to hut trip. Though as we were getting dropped off at Dutchman Snow Park, our van driver said that a group of 50-60 year old men got lost the week before and had to get rescued and ended their trip at a bar in town instead of staying the night in the shelter.
The blue bird start to our trip took a lot of anxiety away, it makes such a difference to be able to see the familiar surroundings and know we had all day to make it 8 miles. We all commented on how good it felt to not feel rushed or expected home at a certain time. We were free of responsibilities at home for 3 days and we were excited! I don't mean this in a negative way towards our families at all. I love my husband and kids and dog and I love caring for, spending time, living my life with my family. I am so grateful for the life I have with them. Knowing they were safe and happy at home, I took this weekend to fill up on my "Me" time and it felt great!
Each woman on this trip is a special friend in some way. I feel lucky to have them all in my life.
Becky was the first friend I made in Bend when I got her number at the bagel shop she worked at. She has always had such a good, kind, yet "let's be real" vibe that I have always loved. Now we are lucky enough to have girls of our own who consider each other besties!
Kacey, I met when our kids had Kindergarten together. We've shared many good hikes and talks over the years, as well as, a highly trusted member of the Lot crew. She has been through "a lot" with us on that dynamic too.
Tara is a newer friend, that I have especially loved getting to know through all the outdoor fun we have had. One thing I know about Tara is, she is full of surprises and up for anything! I like that in an adventuring buddy.
Leah and I also became friends when our kids started Kindergarten together. Gus and Piper are sweet playmates and now neighbors. An easy/fun family to hang with. Leah is a trusted and an easily counted on friend as a mom back up and outdoor play partner. Kids or no kids, its always fun to get together with her.
Sara also gets to be counted as a long time friend as I've known her now as long as she's lived in town. Though our connection feels almost like older friends than that. Someone I never get tired of talking to. Whenever our hike or outing ends, it always feels like theres more to say.
Marieka, is it weird to be friends with my kids teacher? Maybe, but who cares. Marieka is also a new friend that is easy to laugh with, be serious with and learn from, even if she is one of the youngest in this group.
Asha, I've known since the girls were in Kindergarten together, but didn't really get to know until our daughters also became BFF's last year. Asha is easy to talk to, wonderfully nerdy and cool all in one. I like her honesty and openness and level headed parenting style.
| Just getting started, but had to catch the Broken Top photo-op. |
One thing I liked about this 3 day trail is how different the terrain was each day.
Happy skiers!
We took our sweet time, took lots of picture, but made it to the hut before dark!
The second day, we made it to the hut with plenty of daylight left to hang outside and enjoy the spectacular view.
It was quite a party on the 2nd night! Music, lots of laughing and plenty of story telling.
| Sunrise on the 3rd day |
Skiing though the burn was pretty magical on the way out! So different from the think tall forest on the first day.
But really, I can't forget to thank all our husbands for helping to make this happen, by holding down the households and loving on our kids. Especially knowing that most of my crew were sick and couch bound most of the weekend.
























No comments:
Post a Comment