Thursday, January 7, 2016

Living my life









Eight...I can't believe it!  My baby girl is at such a great age...not little anymore, but not quite big either!  We celebrated Piper by sneaking her out of school for a lunch date and surprise outing to get her ears pierced!  Such a fun day, such a beautiful girl and such an honor to be her mom!  

Piper has such a compassionate heart.  She feels deeply and is very aware of the emotions in the people around her.  She loves to laugh and be silly.  She has a confidence about her that radiates the beauty inside her.  Piper is fun and loving and smiley and a joy to be living this life with.   We love you Pipes!  




A swim party with her friends, followed by pizza and cake at the house.  So simple compared to the scavenger hunts we put on the last few years!   






















One week later, boom its Halloween!  So fun, great costumes...lots of festivities!  Our favorite stop is trick or treating at The Lot for a chance to fuel up for the fun night ahead!  

The boys were thrilled to finally meet Mr. and Mrs. Grinling, the Scottish lighthouse keepers from their first story line at school.  They went through a handful of rigorous tests, like climbing 7 sets of stairs, rowing a boat, polishing brass, spotting seagulls through their telescope...eventually all the Kindergarteners earned their own official light house key that they can use the next time they happen to visit Scotland!  



Then the day came...I had lots of anticipation for the one year anniversary of my Dad dying.  Up until this point I could think back, "Okay, one year ago we went to Lake Chelan with my family", the last one my Dad got to experience.  "One year ago, I made my Dad a huge crab louie salad for his 71st birthday"  Then it came to November 17th, it happened to be stormy night, the wind blew hard, it poured rain...I laid in bed and listened, recounted the day, just one year ago that I was walking Piper home from school and I got the call from my mom that I better come home...I narrowly made it through some crazy weather that day also...I caught the last plane out of Redmond headed to Seattle.  Uncle Paul picked me up from the airport, Aunt Ann and my Mom were at the house trying to keep my Dad comfortable.  I sat with him, held his hand...told him I Loved him and with out many words watched him breath his last breaths.   This is a moment I will never forget, a very hard moment to remember and have imprinted in my memory.  The moment he was gone from his body and from that point (November 18th, 2014)it started...The first Thanksgiving he wasn't there, the first Christmas, birthdays, car shows, family trips...and finally the first year with out my Dad.  

I knew I didn't want to let the day slip by like any other.  I knew I wanted to mark this day, to leave space in this day to remember, reflect, relive and to experience it.  I ended up taking two days.  The two hour massage, that was more than a massage. I was with a woman I know who helped me connect to my Dad's spirit or energy, this experience was just what I hoped for.  I believe he can be here with me in ways that I don't fully understand.  He is as quick as a thought.  He is really enjoying not having the constraints of his body.  Rainbows. Grateful for the connection. He is good, in a good place and so am I.


The next day I went on a 4 hour solo hike.  It rained and it misted and the clouds parted and this amazing rainbow was in full view, almost following me as I hiked up this valley.  It was so refreshing and peaceful and healing to take this time for myself.  I didn't stop there, after my hike I went to the soaking pool at McMenamins, and out to a fancy dinner all on my own.  By time I got home, the kids were in bed and I sat by the fire with David to recount it all over again.  I was sad, but I was okay and really more than okay.  I felt satisfied with how I marked this monumental moment to me.  I felt connected to my Dad.  


The holidays came and went and we did them all.  Smoked a Thanksgiving Turkey, sledded, skied, went the the movies and swam in the pool.  Both our moms came for a visit before Christmas and we celebrated and experienced and enjoyed each day together.  The kids crafted just about every day in December thanks to the 24 presents from Grandma Alice, note the awesome gingerbread house picture below.  







We continued our Eve Eve tradition with the Grahams with deep snow sledding and late night family fun to tire ourselves silly.  








Then it was Christmas eve and we spent the late afternoon exploring the snowy woods.  It was so fun and cold and beautiful.  We made it back to the warming hut just as the sun was setting...a perfect spot for hot chocolate and treats before following the FULL MOON home to watch a few old fashion Christmas cartoons before bed. 

 




We read "The Night Before Christmas," got carried upstairs and looked one more time at the sky in search of a glimpse of a glowing red nose...






















Then Christmas morning finally arrived and we soaked it up all day!  Mess and all!  Legos were built, stomp rockets launched, stuffies cuddled and new snorkels tried on!







And even an after dinner Christmas Full Moon walk!





Then, 3 days later...another BIG Celebration begins!


CJ and Jett turn SIX!!!

What fun kids these guys are.  They are sweet and silly and strong and smart.  They are so different from each other, yet complimentary too.  A yin and yang and makes it all just right.  I can't imagine  our family with out either of these knuckle heads.  

Jett is determined, he has follow through and ambition.  He single handily put 3 big lego sets together in 2 days. 
He has a deep voice, high pitch scream and a giggle that melts my heart.  

CJ is a lover and gives me kisses all day long.  He is funny and a thinker.  He loves stories and riddles and math problems.  Tease him and he'll tease you back.  Wrong him and he won't forget.  
He has funny voices and loves to be silly.

Happy Birthday Buddy Boys!  We love you.


We had a family snow tubing day for their birthday...so much fun!  



No comments: