Monday, February 18, 2013

winter 2013


David has been giving his time to volunteer with Oregon Adaptive Sports once a week this winter.  This has been such an unexpected highlight, in that he kind of just fell into getting involved, and has totally loved being a part of this group.  Volunteering on a regular basis has allowed him to work with the same people several times, giving him the chance to get to know the participants and instructors better each time.




On top of the satisfaction of helping out for OAS, David earns a free lift ticket for each time he volunteers.  This has been a fun perk that we both have gotten to benefit from.

Thursdays are the days that we have two out of three kids in school, so we have been using this special one on one time to try to teach one lucky kiddo to ski.  I have to admit Isee the lure of putting them in ski school so someone else can endure the whinny resistance that they seem to pour on during this "fun" time...but for some reason I keep coming back. We have had some beautiful blue bird days, so simply being outside has been nice and there are windows of time that I see them having fun.  Hot chocolate and m&m's have been key in the "fun", but really I am encouraged that each run is giving them more and more confidence.  Hopefully we can get on the bunny chairlift soon!





It is hard to see the scale of this work of art here, but this beautiful picture that Piper made for me is on a two foot by three foot section of cardboard (still the left overs from those beds that the playhouse was made out of).  I absolutely adore this picture and all the work that Dave and Piper put into the frame as well.  This took them hours, a little at a time to patiently create the double layered frame with the rainbow inside and bubble/stencil outer layer.  Super impressive persistence for both David and Piper.  They even let the boys have a go at part of the frame.  This is not only the finest family portrait that Piper has ever drawn, but the love it represents just fills my heart.  I love, love, love it and am proud to hang it as a center piece in our living room.    



Piper and I joined friends Julie and Hazel for a local performance of "Little Orphan Annie" a few weeks ago.  I got the tickets because I thought Piper would enjoy it, but I was blown away with the quality of the show.  The kid performers were local kids ranging from age 6 to high school, but most of them in elementary school.  I am not sure if my kids would ever be interested in acting in a play (except for Calvin, I totally see him in drama club), but I was so impressed and felt so proud of these kids pouring their hearts out singing and smiling and really putting on a show. It was a super fun outing.  Piper was most impressed that the performers received flowers at the end from their fans.

We utilized the library's free High Desert Museum passes for the new butterfly and humming bird exhibit recently on a random Monday.  It was a fun day and so nice to go during the week when not many other people were there.




There are some great cross country ski trails around here, in fact xc skiing has totally been my thing this winter.  Getting out twice a week either on my own or with friends.  Night skiing has been a highlight as well.  Last weekend one of the snow-parks put on their annual event called the luminaria where they lit the trail with candles all the way to a shelter.  It was a huge community party with a bonfire and lots of people enjoying the beautiful clear night.  The kids were troopers with the tight fit of all three squeezing into the chariot, and I guess really so was Dave to pull the weight of 90 lbs of kid the 3 mile round trip outing.  The couple big hills were a little sketchy, thankfully we didn't run anyone down, there was no stopping Dave on the down hill!         









It's been cold but sunny the last 2 weekends, still so refreshing to get outside.  We have had fun getting back on our bikes.  Piper riding her own and the boys either in the chariot or on the trail a bike.  

I get so much joy watching Piper ride her bike.  She has so much fun.  Always a huge smile as she pedals her heart out.  She loves going super fast, but is very good listener when it comes to staying safe on the streets.  

We have fun making the rounds and stopping at several parks a long the way.  Last weekend we were out biking and playing at parks more than 5 hours.  We were all wiped out, but it felt great.  Winter is fun, but I am looking forward to the warm weather so we don't have to be so bundled up!






















Fun at the gymnastics gym!  


Calvin's MOVES  click the link for a cute Calvin video



No comments: