Thursday, June 3, 2010
Super Mom
I am lucky enough to say that I have LOTS of help from my wonderful husband with these kiddos of ours. We make a great team and I am so thankful for that.
It does feel good to know that when the occasion arises, I can stride on my own and juggle all three munchkins and not have my whole world come crashing down. Today David had the chance to go fly fishing with a few friends that hired a guide to take them and brave the rain and the river (they are not home yet, so hopefully it was a success).
The afternoon went smooth with lots of laughing, books and make believe. The most challenging time of the day is definitely between 5:30 - 8:00pm. This is when we(usually Dave)are trying to prepare dinner, we eat (typically right when we sit down to eat it is cue for Jett to start screaming), then Dave puts Piper to bed and I nurse the babies, then we give bottles to top them off so they can sleep through the night (which thank goodness, they have been doing since 3 1/2 months). Then it is time to clean up the dinner dishes and pick up the tornado that hit our living room from a fun filled day. And finally we can relax and reconnect with each other.
Tonight I was ready and willing to take on this challenge and am happy to say with the exception of about 5 minutes of insanity, it went great. While nursing the babies I had the idea to recap the nights adventures, so I can impress my readers =-), but most of all so I can remember when I reread this blog in years to come.
Luckily I was able to bypass the major time consuming dinner prep piece of the evening since I had made a yummy minestrone soup yesterday, so leftovers was key! As my soup was reheating on the stove, I made Piper her Quinoa noodles and thankfully the boys fell asleep in their swings after all the awake time they had watching Piper have the "Piper crazies" in the playroom earlier in the evening.
Here is a kind of funny story...at dinner Piper was asking if "When the babies leave, she can roar like a lion as loud as she wants?" I ask "Where are the babies going?" Piper says with a smile, "To another house?" Ha Ha, I laugh and tell her that they aren't going anywhere, but after dinner we can go outside and roar as loud as she wants. Screaming or "roaring" at the babies and making them wake up or cry has been quite a problem lately and resulting in lots of time outs in Pipers world. So we head outside while the babies stay sweetly sleeping inside in their swings. We roar and play in the rain and Piper has fun chasing me with a squirt bottle. So it is time to come inside and just as we step in the door and I am telling Piper to go pick out two books to read before bed, she ROARS as loud as she can right in Calvin's face. He of course wakes up screaming, I have to leave him there, and march Piper upstairs with NO books!
The thing I am most proud of, is how quickly I am able to calm a screaming Piper down at this point. She realizes that not reading books is fair punishment and we talk about how that was a bad decision to scream at Calvin. We rock and sing, brush teeth, go potty and Piper goes to bed with out much fuss. I run downstairs and rescue poor Calvin and nurse him at his usual 7:00pm on the dot. Jett by the way slept through the whole thing! Just as Calvin is finishing Jett wakes up ready to eat and just as I am getting him on, I hear Piper saying she has to use the potty. Piper has been sleeping at night with no diaper for about a month, so we are still pretty sensitive to take her to the bathroom if she says she has to go. Here is the 5 minutes of insanity I spoke about earlier...so I take Jett off the boob, he starts screaming his high pitch scream that is like fingernails on a chalk board, and Calvin was already crying because he is still hungry and ready for his bottle. I leave them both crying, run back upstairs and very calmly go into Piper's room. She runs into the bathroom...and nothing happens, maybe a toot. She says she is all done and asks if she just "Cried Wolf?" This girl melts my heart even in this situation. Back to bed, with no problems, she can hear the babies crying, so I think she felt bad and didn't make another peep. I run back downstairs, get a bottle ready for Calvin, meanwhile the babies are frantic, but I somehow keep my cool. I get Jett back on to nurse and plug the bottle in Calvin at the same time. Skills I tell you SKILLS! They both finish, and I heat up 2 more bottles and proceed to feed them both bottles at the same time. All is calm, and this is when I had the idea that I am a supermom and need to brag about it! =-)
Then I gave Jett his second bottle and we are in the finishing stretch of bedtime routine. After I got all their burps out, I put them both on my chest holding them so I could watch them look at each other. Just wanting to savor all their babyness and soak up this quiet happy time with just me and the twins. We hung out for a little while, it is so much fun to watch them interact. They were reaching out putting their hands in each others mouth, holding hands, cooing and smiling. It really is fun having twins. Calvin and Jett are both so sweet, yet so different...I love them. I carried them together up to their room, changed diapers, and snuggled them in their cribs. I sang twinkle twinkle little star and not one peep from either baby as I slipped out the door.
Pat on the back, way to go, I love being a mom! Even though I am proud of myself, I am still WAY happy to have back up and teamwork from my amazing husband on a regular day to day basis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"Skills I tell you SKILLS!" I couldn't agree more. Well done.
WOW! You are supermom...I was cracking up reading this and trying to imagine you in this "mom-of-twins-and-toddler" role!
Post a Comment